Is travel insurance required and where can I get it?


CHOICE expeditions take place in rural locations across the globe where medical services are often unavailable. Therefore, CHOICE requires all expedition participants to purchase medical evacuation insurance that will provide coverage while traveling overseas. CHOICE requires at least $25,000 in medical evacuation insurance to cover proper transportation to a hospital or clinic during medical emergencies. You must provide proof of this coverage to CHOICE as part of your registration. (This cost is in addition to the expedition fee.)

In addition, CHOICE encourages all expedition participants to purchase standard travel insurance and trip cancellation coverage due to unforeseen circumstances that might cause trip disruptions or unexpected flight cancellations. 

Several companies provide the above insurance policies. CHOICE provides a few suggestions:

Travel Guard
3300 Business Park Drive Stevens Point,
Wisconsin 54482 (800) 826-1300

PO Box 641070
Omaha, Nebraska 68164
(800) 228-9792

Major credit card companies also provide free and/or low cost travel insurance to cardholders. Please be sure that such coverage is actual insurance and not just insurance consultation. If you are a student or faculty member, the least expensive way to acquire emergency evacuation/medical insurance is the international youth/student/faculty I.D. card ($20). Most universities offer these through their study abroad office. You will need to provide proof of current school enrollment or faculty employment and a passport-sized photo.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.